Here are a few things I’ve learned while staying home to take care of The Daughters so Mrs. Wife could go away for a long weekend with The Mommy Mafia:
● My house gets an astonishing amount of midday light.
● At home, you are never more than an arm’s length away from food. If I weren’t in the city all week, I’d weigh 300 pounds.
● The music in High School Musical 2 is simply awful. But I’m not their target audience, so perhaps that’s unfair.
● 6-Year Old Daughter is in school until 3:00 o’clock, so when 2-Year Old is napping, that’s a block of free time. It could lead to all sorts of internet shenanigans. (I’m not saying it did; I’m just saying it could.) Also, I’ve discovered that I am a much shittier guitar player than I remember being. My fingers felt like stone, although I could still rattle off a passable version of Bob Marley’s Redemption Song.
● I thought I was too urban and sophisticated to be moved by something as bucolic as walking my daughter to school in the morning. Wrong again. Apparently, there’s something beating inside that block of concrete in my chest.
● A lot of suburban moms have let themselves go to seed.
● Dazed and Confused is a much better movie than I remember it being.